Having studied rural history in university, Christi spends the winter months researching the farm's history and writes from a settler's perspective. We acknowledge that these lands form part of the Johnson Settlement Land Claim registered by the Six Nations of the Grand River in 1989 and encourage readers to consult their Lands and Resources division for more information.
Thomas Sargent (1816-75) arrived in Canada West in the late 1840s and began farming. Records indicate he purchased this farm in 1860. He married Julia McWilliams (1828-99) in 1853 and together they had five children: Amanda (1855-1930), Jane (1859-1900), George (1863-1911), John (1865-1946), and Samuel (1868-1925). Thomas was tragically killed in a railway accident coming back from market in May 1875 and thereafter Julia and the children continued on with the farm. We believe they built the barn foundation in 1880 and the current farmhouse in 1902. John, Samuel, and Amanda retired to a house in Cainsville in 1915, which has since been torn down.
We later learned that Louis Fonger and his wife, Ellen, owned the farm for about five years between 1915 and 1921. Louis' grandfather, David, had been a friend of Thomas Sargent, and his daughter, Margaret, grows up to marry Alford Jury. Their time at the farm is representative of the close relationships and interconnected families from the former Brantford Township's Pine Grove community.
Edward Jury (1891-1962) bought the farm circa 1921 and farmed with his younger brother, Alford (1901-88), until he married. We understand that the upper barn was replaced in 1920 and Ed and son, Raymond, built the silo in 1948. Ed undertakes a series of small severances for building lots, decreasing the main farm's acreage to approximately 30 when it is sold following his death in 1965.
When Marion and Guy Silverthorne bought the house at an estate sale in 1965, they had no intention of living in it. Instead, they "flipped it" by modernizing the amenities by adding indoor plumbing and updating the décor. Marion was a real estate professional and Guy worked as a Millwright. In 1969, they managed to sell the property for $35,000, which was nearly double the $19,000 they paid for it four years prior.
Douglas and Patricia Dinsmore purchased the farm in 1969, raising hogs before returning to the City. One cherry tree remains from the orchard that stood atop the hill during the Dinsmore's tenure here. We were fortunate to speak with Mr. Dinsmore before he passed away.
The farm changes changes hands twice more before is becomes known as Creek View Acres. First to a couple who managed a topsoil business before parting ways and then to an avid gardener who planted many of the mature trees with her father and daughters.
We often receive visitors who grew up in the area and remember visiting the property during these years. We welcome outreach from those who have a connection to the property.
The farm was about to become Brant County's newest nursery and orchard in August 2020, but we didn't know just yet. After much debate, Creek View Acres was named for its 600-feet of frontage on Fairchild's Creek because the farm didn't come with a name.
The first apple trees were planted in April 2021. We held our first retail sale of herbs and vegetable plants in May 2021, quickly expanding to offer trees, shrubs, and perennials, and we've grown each year since then. We continue adapting with each season and look forward to what lies ahead as we write the next chapter in the farm's history.
We use cookies to analyze website traffic and optimize your website experience. By accepting our use of cookies, your data will be aggregated with all other user data.